Suggestions from a person who scored Band 5 and in the second test got Band 8.
1. First of all, get to know more about the test itself. Understand the structure of the test, how it is divided into 4 modules, the time allotted for each module, the types of questions to expect and so on.
3. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. As they say, practice makes a man perfect.
4. For the Speaking test – it is very important that you practice real IELTS test questions for this module. Believe me, the questions DO repeat! During the test, try to give creative answers…or at least just answer; do not remain mute or the examiner will think that you did not understand the question.
5. Listen to BBC or other English news channels and try to understand what is being said. Conversing with a native speaker will also help.
6. Practice. I am repeating this point because this is the only way to success.
I hope future IELTS test takers will benefit from these tips. I wish everyone all the very best.”